What's Stopping You Buying A Smartwatch?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Duncan, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Duncan

Duncan @mobilephone2003

Ratings:
    +170
    Windows 10
    From what I've seen in real life around me, nobody is wearing a smartwatch.

In terms of the Forums, I've only seen one person mention they have one.

My question is, what is causing you not to get one? Is it...

• Price?
    • Battery Life?
    • Style?
    • Waiting for better?

What's your thoughts?

2. InsaneMatt

InsaneMatt Exabyte

Ratings:
    +24
    Common sense?
    What's so difficult about getting your phone out of your pocket? If you're a teenager, it's likely in your hand anyway.

Once more, not many people even wear watches any more due to using their phones for time keeping yet they're excited for wearing a watch that does many things their phone do, just in a more limited capacity?
    It's a complete "fad" in my opinion.

Personally, I still wear a watch; mostly out of habit.
    Think I'll stick with my Casio Wave Ceptor watch, thanks!

#2 InsaneMatt, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  3. Jamie

Jamie Gigabyte

Ratings:
    +6
    It's a gimmick.

I stopped wearing a watch years ago, as I have a clock on my phone. Personally, I have no difficulty getting my phone out of my pocket to check the time and my notifications, so why should I have this tiny device on my wrist that cost hundreds of pounds extra to show me this?

Smart watches just seem like an expensive extension to your phone. Until they can replace a phone entirely with a large holographic screen and perfect voice recognition... then maybe I would consider one. Actually, no.... I can imagine trying to send an inappropriate message in public on that.

4. WizardCM

WizardCM Megabyte

Ratings:
    +12
    Two reasons for me - most are designed for only iOS or Android, and those that aren't (Microsoft Band) aren't sold in Australia. I was originally planning on getting a Kreyos Meteor, but turns out the device is a cheap piece of utter rubbish.

5. Adrian Cauguiran

Adrian Cauguiran Megabyte

Ratings:
    +13
    I think honestly biggest thing is I'm a huge fan of traditional time pieces & haven't yet seen a style of smart watch that I'd wear on a daily basis. Just as I see a smart watch as an extension to your phone I see a watch as an extension of my outfit (thats just me thought). Of course functionality is important as of late the only watches that seem promising look/functionality wise have been the 360, Apple Watch, Pebble Time, and LG Urbane.

I try to use my phone less & less while out & about with people I like the idea of glancing at my watch for quick notifications without having the urge to pull out the phone. Battery life wise I'd say at least 3-4 hours heavy usage at most is what'd be key for me as I think that could last most of the day with on/off usage. Think I'll be looking into the Apple Watch & Pebble at launch so we'll see how it goes.

6. Creaky

Creaky Kilobyte

Ratings:
    +2
    I dont need one. I've got a smartphone and a tablet already, dont need a watch that does exactly the same thing.

7. Gekz

Gekz Petabyte

Ratings:
    +34
    Only use I can find for it is NFC payments, and even then I don't even trust such a system.

Considering that they are meant to compliment apps on a device you are carrying on yourself and not meant to be full fledged applications is understandable, I just don't find any logical reasoning to get one.

I'll rather have a smart ring for NFC / voice memos / and possibly camera possibilities (Sounds weird, Point at something to take a picture xD)

8. Dan Valverde

Dan Valverde Terabyte

Ratings:
    +40
    Always going to be battery life for me. Doesn't look like solar is an option currently either.

9. matt112234

matt112234 Gigabyte

Ratings:
    +16
    Battery life and price. I'd rather put the money to a better phone.

10. jake12001200

jake12001200 Petabyte

Ratings:
    +95
    I don't like the idea of charging yet another device every day

11. Imkihca

Imkihca Megabyte
    Designer

Ratings:
    +33
    I don't like wearing watches or anything bulky around my wrists in general.

12. AppleHead493

AppleHead493 Gigabyte

Ratings:
    +15
    Windows 10 Pro
    My mobile is my watch. No need for one nowadays.

It's just another gimmick for people with money to burn to say "Look at me I have money to burn"

13. thedigi321

thedigi321 Petabyte

Ratings:
    +20
    i got a watch for my mother and I, mine is digital and hers is analog, i got mine for looks

as for smart watches the fad will pass or get better i try not to buy first gen stuff because it is more of "hey we can do this" and they are buggy

14. FriendsNone

FriendsNone Terabyte

Ratings:
    +23
    Windows 7 SP1
    A normal clock/watch/phone or computer clock is much more ok than a smartwatch.

15. Duncan

Duncan @mobilephone2003

Ratings:
    +170
    Windows 10
    Interesting responses.

So far whilst owning Pebbles and an Android Wear watches, I've found that smartwatches aren't smart enough to be something people MUST have on their wrists.

Too many compromises to pulling out a phone with an already mature app ecosystem that seems to limit itself to a small amount of use cases.

Although some have been out for a few years, the whole smartwatch thing isn't taking off quickly due to all the opinions shown here.

16. jake12001200

jake12001200 Petabyte

Ratings:
    +95
    It just seems like a status symbol to me - which is pretty much what apple products are

Maybe if the design options become more widescale it will change my opinion, but a good old analogue watch is enough for me

17. illage2

illage2 Exabyte

Ratings:
    +52
    Smart Watches to me seem good but at the moment they're not really all that great and don't appear to offer anything that a phone can't plus you need a phone to use a smart watch so having a smartwatch is essentially useless.

Verification:
reCAPTCHA verification is loading. Please refresh the page if it does not load.
Draft saved Draft deleted